Top 10 Reasons to visit Berlin Bicycle Week
At the Berlin Bicycle Week you can see the full run down of races, shows, rides and special events. It can be overwhelming, even for locals! Jon Woodroof of twotoneams.nl shares his top 10 reasons to come to Berlin next month:
1. The Berliner Fahrradschau – often almost synonymous with Berlin Bicycle Week, the BFS (for short) is actually a facet of a week long celebration of cycling in Germany’s capital. There are There are 6 main areas at the Berliner Fahrradschau.
2. The Campagnolo Award – featuring the best handmade builds outfitted with Campagnolo. I’m always a sucker for the custom bling on handmade builds. Props to Campy for supporting the handmade scene!
3. Gravel Road to Berlin – Wahoo Fitness and Strava are calling all adventure cyclists to visit the Berliner Fahrradschau on the roads less travelled. I think this event is great and may even join in!
4. The Trek E-Derny Race powered by Diamant is a tribute to Derny racing and should really be a crowd pleaser for everyone at Tempelhof airfield on Sat 19, March 2016.
5. “Bicycle racing should not be limited to roads, mountains or velodromes”, The Altbau Criterium / Closing Party. The original Grazer Altbau-Radkriterium are bicycle races carried out in private apartments and buildings in which a small number of people can participate.
6. The 2nd Berlin Cargobike Race – The tractor pull of cycling.Under the motto ‘All Cargobikes are beautiful’ Oldtimer, E-Cargo, 2 or 3 wheel… The race is open for all nationalities, cargobikes, manufacturers, and fans.
7. Flatland Freestyle is like kung fu on a brakeless BMX bike. BreakMX Show and Guinness World Record Attempt
8. Single Speed Cyclocross European Championships & Junkyard Cyclocross. following successful events in France and the Netherlands, the SSCXEC 2016 will be hosted in Berlin this year, right amid the excitement and noise of BFS Late Night on Friday, March 18th 2016. Bring your own CX rig and compete in the Junkyard Cyclocross race!
9. The Bike Fleamarket on Sunday, 20th March. No one who’s into cycling can’t appreciate the retro roots of the sport. Whether you’re looking for the final piece for your period correct showroom piece or simply some swag for your modern build, you won’t find a better assortment in the city.
10. Bärlin Pedäl Bättle – Mad Max meets the Knights of the Round Table for an expression of anarchy, freedom, mayhem and bicycle jousting. It can’t really be explained — you have to be there.
There you have it: from dirt roads into town to racing old bikes indoors to cargo bike racing and flatland freestyle, Berlin Bicycle Week is an eclectic variety of events for every type of cyclist. With so many options not even included here, be sure to explore berlinbicycleweek.com for more ideas to get your wheels spinning.
Can’t get enough while you’re in Berlin? Come to Vienna in October!